Electric bikes, or e-bikes, have been growing in popularity for years. The extra boost these bikes give when you pedal makes them an ideal option for daily bicycle commutes, tackling hilly rides or racking up miles while you explore a new city. For those who haven’t considered riding a bike due to physical limitations or age, the electric motor opens up a world of possibilities.
E-bikes use a small electric motor to help propel the bicycle. Riders can rely solely on their own energy to pedal, get a boost from the motor while they’re turning the wheels, or engage only the motor to move the bike forward.
Electric bikes are gaining followers in cities across the United States, particularly in areas where biking is already a common choice for commuting and recreation. Here are the top cities where e bikes for sale and womens bikes for sale are gaining fans.
- San Francisco: Notoriously hilly streets and challenging traffic congestion in the Bay Area have boosted e-bikes as an alternative transportation option. The city’s booming population and soaring housing costs in recent years have made driving and car ownership difficult. Many residents choose to swap in a city bicycle for their daily commute, taking advantage of more than 400 miles of dedicated bike paths to avoid traffic.
- Seattle: With many of the same issues as San Francisco, Seattle is another popular city for electric bike use. Increasing population density and congested traffic make driving a headache, while daunting hills can be a bit much to handle on a traditional bicycle. E-bikes have grown here as an extension of Seattle’s biking and recreation culture.
- Madison, Wisconsin: The first U.S. city to replace its entire rental bike fleet with e-bikes, Madison, Wisconsin has embraced the electric bike trend. According to US News, about 25% of U.S. city bikeshare programs in 2019 had at least some e-bikes in their fleet. Electric bikes have become a common choice for residents who need to make a quick trip across town and visitors who want to take in their destination on two wheels.
- Los Angeles: Serious traffic issues have made Los Angeles an increasingly bike-friendly metropolis. Whether you’re cruising through the city on womens bikes for sale or an electric bike, the nearly 1,200 miles of bike pathways make cycling a good option for exploring. Los Angeles is also home to some of the steepest street grades in the nation, with a handful of roadways slanting at a grade of 30% or more. The electric motor boost on an e-bike makes it possible to handle those hills.
- San Diego: It’s nice out for most of the year in San Diego, making bicycle rides a pleasure year-round. The city has more than 500 miles of bikeways, allowing cyclists to get to their destination safely.
Dense populations and heavy traffic in several U.S. cities make driving an unappealing option for your daily commute. Residents looking to make the switch to cycling on an e-bike or womens bikes for sale can add exercise to their daily routine, reduce their carbon footprint and avoid traffic jams.