Happy International Bacon Day
Today is the last Saturday before labor day so yesterday I revamped baconporn.org and created a new twitter account and today instead of reviewing or doing my book thing I am bringing you one of the most popular blog posts of the bacon variety. THAT and I decided since it is also #sexysaturday it had to be sexy and bacon and sausages are freaking SEXY as all get out! Forget twirking how about porking, bacon porn style with some Bacon Wrapped SMOKING hot Sausages!
Don’t forget to head over to BACONPORN and get even more baconee goodness. I re-posted my Bacon Salt recipe today in honor of the revamp and #InternationalBaconDay and also because of the fact……….. everyone needs bacon salt! We have tons of bacon recipes here too, just peruse the bacon archives (and yes when you search for bacon reviews, interviews, even discussions on Alaska come up because… I talk about bacon a LOT!)
I realize that a large portion of you are on self-induced diets. But not all of us are, and let’s face it there are moments in our life that need bacon. I have had the recipe for Sonoran Dogs from Cooking for Assholes sitting around since the summer of 2010. I just was beginning my bacon addiction with the discovery of a local market that carried freshly butchered and smoked pork and beef products. As good as it sounded, I wasn’t ready to dive into the high caloric intake yet. Now I can indulge in this occasionally, just walk a few extra miles and be good with it. I find that feeding my mind, in the sense that it is making me happy when I eat something that tastes good and that I made, is better than starving myself and being miserable.
Geoff could care less about eating right. He lived with 8 guys in one house, at one point someone was sleeping in the closet! He lived in 40 dollars a month for food, if he was lucky, so he tells me. I finally talked him into letting me show him the wisdom gained with maintaining my household and I was able to stock up on staples and begin shopping for fresh food and high quality meat (since he is a carnivore now!) He now gets to come home to a well cooked meal, baked goods etc, and we eat better then we ever have and spend half as much as we did on all the processed foods he thought he as saving money on! So on certain special occasions, such as an all night Skyrim marathon session, I make sure he is carb’ed and protein pumped ready to take on Dragons all night long! On one such night over this last week, I made him something the asshole from Portland inspired within me, well that and another excuse to cook with bacon!
Baked Bacon Wrapped Smoked Sausage
4 servings (or 2 if it is in my household, 3 for him, and one for me!)
- 4 smoked sausages
- 2 strips of bacon (Thin cut is best, but if you are like me and only eat nitrate free bacon, most of the time it is thick cut, this is fine but you have to make sure it cooks through.)
- Buns (this is really on you, I used plain old potato hot dog buns, but their are many different rolls you could use. I should have since the sausage is a bit to big for the hot dog buns. But they were potato bread! NOM NOM)
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar (whatever kind you like here, we like it smart and smoked but mixed it with medium cheddar since the sausage and bacon were already smoked.)
- 1/2 of a medium onion chopped
- 1/2 tomato diced
- 1-2 jalapeño’s chopped VERY fine. (wear gloves PLEASE be smart, I was out of gloves and even after the jalapeño Popper Pockets I made on New Years eve, I thought NAAA I will be fine! HAH!)
- Turn the oven to broil while you prep the ingredients & fry up the bacon encased sausages
- Line a 9×9 baking pan with tinfoil, do not fold over edges.
- Spread each bun with mayo (I make my own light mayo so it was not to greasy but its your ass!) and place the sausage in each bun, line them up touching so the sides and edges are not exposed.
- Mix up the onions and peppers (if you are a wuss and do not want peppers that is fine, but if you use them mix them up) Put 1/4 of the mixture on top of each sausage, and press some down around the bacon wrapped goodness so nothing spills out, we need it all contained!
- Sprinkle the diced tomatoes over each, them smother those puppies with the cheese!
- Now, draw up the tinfoil up so it protects the edges of the buns, like you do for pie crusts you do not want over cooking or burning. We want it under the broiler longer enough to melt the cheese and soften the buns up but not bake them!
- Place under the broiler but place it as low as you can, we are not looking for well done, just smothered in melted cheese! It will vary with ovens, so leave the door open and watch!
- Remove and engage in bacon love!
If I could hop a plain I would be at the Bacon Festival in the San Diego area, the San Diego Bacon Fest is THE place to be on Bacon Day. If you are an east coast bacon lover, you can head to the BaconFest VA in Roanoke, Virginia.