Though I no longer have my Sunday morning Bloody Mary, I still make and keep DIY Pepper Vodka on my shelf for a myriad of recipes, including my Vodka Sauce. Vodka is used in many recipes, not just drinks. Vodka is one of those alcohols that is rated odorless and colorless but in truth it does have a flavor. This is why though as an Alaskan, Monarch© Vodka has it’s place it does not belong in this particular recipe.
- 1 (750-ml) bottle best quality vodka (my preference is something like Grey Goose.
- 1 fresh red jalapeno or red Fresno pepper, slit in 1/2 lengthwise, stem left intact
- 1 fresh green jalapeno pepper, slit in 1/2 lengthwise, stem left intact
- 1 fresh Serrano or green cayenne pepper, slit in 1/2 lengthwise, stem left intact
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
(For the left over vodka you have to pour off to fit the peppers and garlic in, have the ingredients for a strong Bloody Mary.. get your Julia Child on!)
THE PERFECT BLOODY MARY
- spicy V-8 juice
- olives and the juice
- lime slices
- celery salt
- Tabasco sauce
- Chilled Glass filled with ice and rimmed in a salt & pepper mix
- Pour out enough vodka from the bottle over the ice you have in the Bloody Mary glass you’ve prepared, into order to make room for the peppers.
- Add peppers and garlic one at a time, adding carefully so you do not spill the vodka or smash the peppers. You want it to look pretty people! It will be sitting on your counter looking all sexy. If you have to pour more vodka in your glass, go for it!
- Put the cap back on and tighten. Leave it on the counter, not in your cabinet, for at least a week.
- Serve, or remove the peppers and keep in the freezer.
- Yield: about 3 1/4 cups
Bloody Mary’s are made with a zen moment.. you add that spicy V-8, put about 2 tsp of olive juice in, squeeze a few lime slices worth of juice, sprinkle with celery salt, pepper and Tabasco sauce to taste and stir, garnishing with TONS of olives and limes sit back and watch some Doctor Who and enjoy!
- Building a Better Vodka (foodservicewarehouse.com)
- Infusing Vodka with Ramps (Wild Leeks) (wellpreserved.ca)
- Bloody Mary Gazpacho (tastefoodblog.com)
- Brunch Drinks: 3 Refreshing New Recipes from Southpaw BBQ in San Francisco (drinks.seriouseats.com)